Pages

Thursday, December 19, 2013

One Woman's Kindness Quells My Fears

Hours after discovering who I would be staying with next semester, we became friends on Facebook. Soon after, a received a notification, she had written on my wall. "Hola Grace!!! BIENVENIDA a la familia!" (Hi Grace, WELCOME to the family!)

It was a simple gesture but it was one that made me instantly less nervous about going abroad.

After further communication I learned that I will be staying with 4 other Americans in her house. Her husband is a lawyer AND a professor, and she used to be a professor. They have a beach house by Punte del Este and the most exciting news for me, they have a dog!

It has been two days since I found out who I would be staying with and I have received countless heart warming messages from my host mom. She told me all about the things she hopes to show me and the good times we will have. She said, "We will go through pictures, see the beach, show you the city, show you are way of life. It may seem crazy but you will get used to it. We will have a lot of fun, many laughs, and all in Spanish of course."

She ends her messages with hugs and kisses.

Suddenly, all of my anxiety is out the window. I am more excited than ever to head to Uruguay and spend six months living with this marvelous family.

No comments:

Post a Comment