Pages

Friday, December 29, 2017

Back By Unpopular Demand

I hope the holiday season is treating you all well! I have been given an incredible opportunity to study abroad in Sao Paulo, Brazil. I will be studying in an international graduate program at a law school there. It has been brought to my attention that I am not the best at sharing the details of my life (hi mom!). To remedy this whilst abroad, I’ve resurrected this bad boy.  I’ll be checking back in here at this web address hopefully once a week.

My classes will be taught in English, but I will most likely be taking some courses in Portuguese as well in order to get better at the language. (Yes, I will still be able to graduate on time. No, I don’t know exactly what type of classes I will be taking yet. Yes, all classes will transfer back and be relevant to my law degree. No, I don’t know exactly what type of law I want to practice yet.) Thanks for asking!

I am leaving on Tuesday, January 2nd and flying home on July 2nd. *Commence minor internal panic* People often commend me on my fearlessness about traveling and trying new things. Unfortunately, it is not a lack of fear that motivates me to go. I can ensure you, my remaining time in the U.S. will be filled with sleepless nights and mini anxiety attacks making me question every decision I have made that has led me to this point and wonder if it is too late to back out. I guess the reason I go anyways is because I'm not convinced that being scared to leave is a good enough reason to stay. Anyone who knows me, knows that I love quotes and in the months leading up to this experience I have been clinging to two when in my biggest moments of doubt:

"Doubt will never be the thief that robs me of my dreams."
"It is so hard to leave -- until you leave. Then it is the easiest goddamned thing in the world."

Although there will be tough homesick filled days to come, there is also incredible adventure to come and I know I won't have regrets once I can get myself to leave. First, I’m taking an extended layover in Colombia (25 days) before finally landing in Sao Paulo. My good friend Ohafa (my friend from Brazil) will fly from Brazil and meet me in Bogotá, Colombia. 

Ohafa (and his brother Daniel) and I became close friends during his year long study abroad program in Eau Claire. I visited my Brazilian brothers a few years ago during the month of January. During my semester abroad, I will be about an hour and half away from them by public transportation. I am looking forward to being so close to my second family.

Once reunited, we will travel together to Ecuador, towards the end of January Ohafa and I will return to Brazil together. I’ll keep the rest of our plans a secret, so you’ll have to tune back in to figure out what we are up to and who else might join us.




Stay tuned for some more poor attempts at comedic writing, personal rambling, and a summary of my experiences that are guaranteed to not do them justice. 

No comments:

Post a Comment