Pages

Friday, July 11, 2014

A Day's Adventure

As my time is wrapping up here, I have been trying to take advantage of each and every day. Fortunately, I have been able to do so.  Here is one day in particular:

I had class at 9, I showed up with some of my mom’s cookies. They loved them! During class, we played some games, learned how to make balloon animals, and just hung out. It was a great way to end an amazing class.





At the end, they called me over, circled around me and then started to dance around me, singing a song I didn’t know. It ended in a giant hug.  I was once again reminded just how lucky I am to have been in the class and had the privilege to meet such amazing people.

After class, we headed to the lounge area in the University. I spent hours eating, talking and laughing with my classmates. We also went over some of the songs we have learned over the semester



After a while, Maya and I hopped on the bus to go home. (I hurt my feet a week ago and walking long distances is still a little painful).  On the bus, we passed the Montevideo Zoo. We always knew that there was a zoo in Montevideo but we never knew where. When we saw the sign, we locked eyes and hopped up to stop the bus.


It wasn’t the most amazing zoo I’ve ever been to but it still was fun to walk around. We almost got a selfie with a giraffe!
















After an hour and half of exploring, we headed back on the road.

We got back in time to watch the end of the Brazil and Germany game.  Not long after the game ended, we got ready and went to the SODRE to watch a show. It was a show for little kids called Pedro y el lobo (Pedro and the wolf). It was honestly a bunch of little kids and their parents but I loved it; the costumes were great, as well as the music and dancing.



After the show, we completed our night of being kids but going to McDonald’s for ice cream. The McDonalds here has the best McFlurries. It was amazing. After ice cream, we decided to go bowling.
There is a bowling alley decorated like the 50’s that we went to. (We had to ask directions to get there and even when I said the word bowling 5 different ways, and acted out, the man didn’t understand me. Finally, he was like “ohhhhhhhh, BOWLING!” exactly I had said it.)






It was really fun and by some miracle, I walked away the champion.

After bowling, we had to take advantage of the Dance Dance Revoloution that was there. I had never played before and to no one’s surprise, I was horrible. We all had a lot of fun though.

Practicing


 





After bowling, we started walking home. On the walk, we found an “Espacio Libre” “Free Space”. These are all over the city and they are just little fenced in patches of grass or concrete. I find them really funny because I’m not sure what one is supposed to do in the said free space.


In the end, we decided to take advantage of our ability to be free in the space.


After free spacing, we found a bus to take home. We got off a little too early and started walking home. We stopped in a local bar two blocks away from our house to keep taking advantage of our day and our time together. We ended up playing a game called bowls which is similar to catch phrase but it includes acting things out as well. It was a blast to play but I think the Uruguayans thought we were crazy.



At 2, I finally headed home, exhausted from a day spontaneous and wonderful, knowing that beyond all of the extravagances of my trip, it is days like these that I will cherish forever. 

1 comment:

  1. So fabulous! Your mom will soon be there and you can share the richness with her. Love you!

    ReplyDelete