Pages

Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Reflecting on a Month of Travel

I have been in Montevideo for just over two weeks now. My travel getting here still feels like a dream. I cannot believe on all I did in just 28 days. There are some things I reflect on and wonder, “How in the world did we get through that” and other memories I have a hard time believing are even real because they are so amazing.

Here’s a list of things that happened in our month:

I traveled roughly 6,000 miles
I spent roughly 168 hours on a bus/train/boat/plane

I spent time in 12 different cities
I traveled to/through 6 countries
I spent $2.500
I spent about equal number of nights on a moving vehicle as I did in a bed
I learned most people take 3-12 months to do what we were doing in one
I had more WiFi and contact back home than I ever imagined
I changed plans on a daily basis
I experienced culture shock repeatedly
I missed vegetables more than I ever thought was possible, my 7 year old self would be horrified
I missed fruits more though
I was asked where I was from every time I opened my mouth and spoke Spanish
I traveled to cities I’ve never even heard of before
I took on more reasonability than I’ve ever had
I was reunited with old friends

I made a plethora of new ones


I mountain biked down the world's second largest active volcano


I was able to ride a bus without getting motion sick (yay modern medicine) 
I went an embarrassing long time without showering
I changed clothes fewer times than I showered (gross, I know)
I was robbed of money and clothes
I got lost
I got stranded
I got scammed
I received help around every corner
I shared many laughs with people I barely understood
I was constantly put out of my comfort zone
I had many “first” experiences









I got bit by lots of bugs
I straddled the equator


I simultaneous over packed and under packed
I ate some amazing food







I ate some really questionable food and count my blessings for not getting sick






I struggled with watching a friend get sick and not being able to help
I learned patience
I saw the world's largest salt flats

I didn’t stay in one spot longer than 3 days
I was faced with the possibility having bed bugs
I learned that sometimes the only way to solve a problem is to just go to bed
I got really good at repacking my backpack
I also became a pack mule, at one point; I was carrying 3 backpacks and a plastic bag


I saw the most breathtaking scenery


















I went from strangers to friends with two amazing people










I was reminded of God’s impact on my life
I met people that will forever have an impact on my life
I felt more love from back home

I made memories that will last a lifetime 

4 comments:

  1. What a great reflection. Thanks for sharing! <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Continuing to send love and prayers your way. I keep your friend in prayer so he heals thoroughly. Your writing takes us to the deepest, most vulnerable parts of you - that is amazing! Love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. On the kitchen wall is a saying that says" If you can Dream It, you can Do It!"-you are dreaming and doing!!!! Thanks for taking the readers along with you. Stay safe , healthy and continue to learn and grow.
    LOL my way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bed bugs. Must have been referring to our house because they are a an accepted part of life here from December through March or so :) One learns to love them....not really...tolerate them, because the other option is sleeping with some pretty nasty chemicals.

    ReplyDelete