Pages

Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Day to Be Remembered

 We woke up early to be picked up to go to the port. From there we waited in the hot sun for our boat to load. After what seemed like ages, we finally loaded the boat and headed out to sea.







 We stopped at various islands to pick up other passengers and then made our way to Playa Blanca. Here, the boat dropped off any and all passengers who wanted to spend the entire day at Playa Blanca. 



Photo Credit: Alex

The rest of us continued to Isla de Rosario. Here we had two options, to go to the aquarium or to snorkel the coral reefs. That choice was an easy one. We paid for our masks and spent an hour snorkeling the ocean. The reefs were different then I imagined they would be. They were all the same grayish color but still spectacular. I was grateful for the many hours I had logged on our family snorkel up at the cabin looking for minnows because I felt like an old pro in the ocean. I was able to dive under and get close up to both the reefs and schools of hundreds of fish. I wish I could've taken pictures but I have mental images I will never forget.



After snorkeling, we took the boat back to Playa Blanca. Here is where we ate lunch. Jeremy took the fish option, while both Alex and I opted for the chicken, a decision I am very happy with.

The fish lunch

While we were eating, we were approached by a women asking to give us a massage. We said no thank you, not wanting to pay for anything but she insisted that it was free. She started massaging Jeremy's back  while he finished eating and then later coaxed him to lay down. Soon, all of us were enjoying a lovely massage. 
This turned into
this, which turned into

This, and finally,

this.
When we were finished, the ladies asked us for $60,000 pesos, roughly $30 USD (more than we had spent to go snorkeling). We didn't have enough cash to meet their high demands so we gave them what we had left and walked away.

A man who helped served us lunch kept asking me if Jeremy was my boyfriend. When I would answer no, he would say that then he was my boyfriend. He wanted to take picture together so I could show all of my "amigas" back home my new boyfriend.



The rest of the time on the beach went quickly and before we knew it we were back on the boat. 




                                     

                                        

The boat ride how was interesting to say the least. We broke down several times and ran out of gas twice. We hit waves so large, almost the whole boat went airborne. It was definitely an adventure.

We walked back to our hostel to nurse our new sunburns and tired bodies. We hung out with our friends and met some new ones; two English boys had moved into our room. 

For dinner, we decided to keep it simple and cheap. We went to the local store and picked up ingredients for pasta and bread. We cooked it in the hostel's kitchen and even enjoyed an evening show of fire spinning.

                                
                                           

No comments:

Post a Comment